Churchills and Goldthorpe Property Fraud
Churchills, a Karl Goldthorpe run company filed for liquidation last year. Many investors lost money in what has been described by a top city solicitor as "an obvious large scale fraud". This blog is designed to inform other victims and interested parties in the sorry history of this affair. We would also like fellow victims to post their own story, as a comment, so that there is a single site with the whole story presented.
Friday, 19 June 2009
Tuesday, 28 April 2009
- Churchill Beach (Tahkuranna): 168 plots/properties - all sold
- Churchill Village: 20 properties - all sold
- Parnu River: 80 properties - all sold
- Audru Golf Resort - about 30 units. If anyone knows the exact size of this development can they let us know
- Cape Verde: about 40 properties sold
- Goa: 40 - 50 deposits taken and not passed on
Monday, 27 April 2009
- Emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: The Economic Crime Unit, Southern Support and Training Headquarters, Hamble Lane, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4TS, quoting OP Coil in any correspondence.
Thursday, 9 April 2009
She says that Ryan Braganza (the developer of Braganza World) is, in her opinion, an honest man, who has been caught up in a difficult political situation in Goa that is entirely seperate to the Churchills issue. But she thinks he is genuine in trying to put together a proper development.
Sunday, 5 April 2009
I phoned this company yesterday and asked to speak to Karl Goldthorpe. They said "he's not in at the moment, but if you leave your details he'll phone you when he returns".
What has happened to this country ?!!
Wednesday, 1 April 2009
"I am very sorry to tell you but these drawings and spec look awful.
1) anybody has access to the roof terrace - no privacy, anybody can just go there while you’re asleep or away
2) the roof terraces are the most unimaginative spaces I’ve ever seen - no consistency in materials, weird shape, column right in the middle of it - nobody will ever use them (especially since the apartments appear to be 1 beds - much too large a space for a couple to spend a romantic evening up there), also since you can’t keep anything of any value up there (see 1)
3) the layout of the bungalow doesn’t make any sense to me: an entrance space as large as the (presumed) bedroom, 3 small rooms - bathrooms? Storage rooms? None of them anywhere near the bedroom, and lastly you are left with a space (kitchen & sitting room?) in an absolute weird shape - quite obviously nothing more but left- over space. Very deep, on top of that, the back of this ’room’ will be very dark. I don’t understand what this layout is for. Definitely not suitable for a holiday flat in my opinion.
4) I don’t understand why they are bungalows, a two-storey building for example would at least create the opportunity for the roof terrace being populated
5) There is no information on the surrounding, how these buildings will relate to each other, what kind of organizational system (roads, pathways leading up to front doors, car parking, rubbish bins, front gardens, terraces, closeness of neighbouring buildings, number of neighbouring buildings etc) will tie the place together
6) Exterior material seems to be wood - how is this going to be maintained?
7) Plans, Spec and rendering appear to having been done by a first year student - I have never in my life come across a description such as ‘Appendix 1’, any professional practice would provide detail drawings of the joints/ wall build-ups instead of vaguely describing them!
8) The provided information lacks detail - if construction is due to begin in may (day after tomorrow) this is either worrying (presuming these are the latest drawings) since they are nowhere near a level which could be realised, or more worrying (presuming these are not the latest drawings, but the only ones issued for the client to see), since this would mean the developer deliberately withholds information of which he fears the client would not be satisfied. You need to find out whether there is more detailed information available."
Saturday, 21 March 2009
Wednesday, 11 March 2009
The total number of known victims of the fraud is now around 150. The cumulative loss is now over £1.5M
Saturday, 7 March 2009
Sunday, 1 March 2009
Monday, 16 February 2009
Sunday, 8 February 2009
Friday, 6 February 2009
Wednesday, 4 February 2009
It is quite difficult to identify the extent to which individuals were involved in this, so we will simply give a factual account of what we know, and let you make your own mind up about culpability.
The directors of the final version of Churchills, CIS, were:
- Karl Goldthorpe (MD)
- Dale Pilkington (Sales), previously worked for Perfect Day (see earlier post).
- Paul Wade (Finance), left CIS in February 2008
- Andrew Jonathan Kemp Goldthorpe, salesman and younger brother of Karl
- Gary Smith, KGs right hand man and salesman
- Charlie Pritchard, salesman
- Naren Cox, who tells us he was a "self employed salesman who resigned from CIS December 2007 on his discovery of the directors of Churchills fraudulent activity."
- Stuart D'Costa, salesman and brother in law of Karl and Andrew. Left CPO and now works for the Isle of Wight Police
- Karl Goldthorpe
- Lee Williams
- Harriet Saunders (step daughter of Lee Williams)
- Jordie Williams (son of Lee Williams)
- Karl Goldthorpe
- Katherine D'Costa (KGs sister)
- Andrew Jonathan Kemp Goldthorpe
- Walter Goldthorpe (KGs father)
- Karl Goldthorpe
- Katherine D'Costa
- Andrew Jonathan Kemp Goldthorpe
- Elizabeth Goldthorpe (KGs mother)
- Lee Williams
- Chris Tonkinson
- Ryan Braganza
He is the central figure to this whole affair. He owns seven properties (that we know of), six of which are on the Isle of Wight and one is in Cyprus, and is clearly a very rich man. Some of his property is co-owned by other members of his family - his parents, sister and brother. In fact the whole family seems to be closely intertwined in the business. Some of the land in Estonia was co-owned by the whole family. The directors of Frinteel are Karl Goldthorpe, Katherine D'Costa (his sister) and Andrew, his brother. The shareholders are KG, his parents, brother and sister.
I have had planning permission for 62 Apartments on this site, but the Finnish and Estonian clients where shocked from my prices. One day Chris Tonkinson offered me help, he told me he has hundreds of investors in England because the pound is so strong and every one want to invest on the golf course. I believed him, because I worked 20 years in the golf business in the Algarve. I offered 5% commission to him. Several days later he invited me for a beer in City Pub in Pärnu to discuss all. Later Williams joined and apologized to me about the rent and so on. Williams offered me to sell about 5 to 10 units per month and he showed me a list of clients visiting Estonian soon, but he want 10% Commission...after a view beers I agreed.2 days later he told me the first clients arriving soon, he need some documentation, I gave him a copy of the permission, building specifications and many more. ( Now everyone could see it was no fake) Next day he called me and told that we need to make a notary agreement to guaranty his commissions. In the notary I was just over rolled from his Lawyer (Andrus Viilver) Tonkinson and Williams to sign all this Documents. It was the biggest mistake in my live, because I made Williams a Member of board in my Company Balti Paradiis. Williams was registered after 3 days in the Äriregister and with this document he went straight away to the bank and blocked all my company accounts and credit cards. I was lucky this day, because it was nearly 5 pm and the bank woman called me and explained what's up. She told him it’s too late and to come back next day with all this bank papers signed. For this reason I had the chance to transfer about 60.000 Euros to my private account, otherwise it was gone. next morning Williams went at first to the Car Leasing Company and told them that he is a Member of Board now and he want his car back.( my Car ) a view month old Grand Cherokee Jeep. After this I went around Pärnu found him and I knocked him down. I had a with the Bank Director the next day to explain, because there was a loan on one half of the land. Now I could not act anymore without Williams’s permission. I informed the entire official in construction department, architects, etc.etc.and everyone was shocked, because it was a fabulous project and welcome from the government site is well. One English guy, Russell Thompson was his buddy, but they had a fight at this time and he told me to contact someone in Spain, because Williams is wanted from the police there. I did ask around in the Malaga Aeria and got info from an English newspaper (the trading post Spain) that Williams has cheated many customers for the deposits down there, and he was in Malage Prison for a long weekend but got out on a deposit,because he was resident.he went to Gibraltar and disapeared from there. I informed Tonkinson about it and told him that he can buy more 40% or I close the site and go back to Portugal. This stupid idiot really believed it and he found 4 Investors to pay me 60.000GBP for 40%.now it was: 10% Williams, 40%Tonkinson, and 50% myself. after I received the money, I informed this "Investors" about the process, they have paid 80.000GBP,but only 60.000GBP have arrived at me (20.000GBP cash for Tonkinson).I wished them good luck, many thanks for the money and not to forget to pay the loan every month to the bank, because I move back to Portugal and the Land will be a Potato field soon, OR TO BUY THE REST50% IS WELL.However,in the next view month Tonkinson found the Money to buy me out and I got rid of the loan contract and had even some profit in the box. After this procedure Williams and Tonkinson started to take deposits on this land, and until today, there is not one brick in the ground, the same as on all other developments from Tonks and Williams."
Tuesday, 3 February 2009
- Churchill Innovative Solutions(CIS)
- Churchill Property Overseas (CPO)
- Churchill OU (dissolved 2008)
- Churchill Estate Agents (dissolved 2005)
- Churchill Property Lettings (dissolved 2005)
- EJ Development
- Churchill Village
- Tahkuranna Beach Resort
- Parnu River development
- Audru Golf resort
No development whatsoever has taken place at the other three sites.
- Braganza World, Goa, India
- Turtle Bay, Maio, Cape Verde
However PD had a rather incestuous relationship with Churchills, certainly not one to encourage impartial financial advice. Dale Pilkington worked for PD and set up the project of recommending Churchill's investments - at which point he left PD to become sales director at Churchills, where he remained until the company was liquidated.
Once it became obvious that the whole Estonian development had collapsed PD acted with an incredible lack of business integrity, and failed to even communicate the full facts to their clients. On the 19th of December 2008 PD went into administration and were subsequently bought by two fomer employees. They set up a new company called Ablestoke with themselves as directors. They have employed many of the Perfect Day consultants and operate from the same premises. And Ablestoke consultants are telling their original Perfect Day clients the following: "there is no change to your affairs and the admin of it. We have just changed our compliance route back to Intrinsic and hence new company set up".
Intrinsic are a financial services company who used to provide services to Perfect Day before PD changed to a company called Money Portal, who were to provide PD with substantial numbers of client leads. On the strength of the Money Portal deal PD began a big investment in expanding the business, but when things went wrong with the Money Portal deal PD had to be put into administration. The CEO of Money Portal had to resign and the CEO of Perfect Day will not be part of Ablestoke.